Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Summer Solstice 09

Yesterday was such a lovely, casual, festive but low key day .. We started off with the usual early morning gift giving, listening to a CD of Glee mash-ups my daughter made for the occasion .. Then moved into the kitchen for Strawberry Daiquiris, crackers & dip etc, and of course laughter and conversation while preparing for a roast lunch - it was a cool day so quite pleasant having the oven going .. Followed by the ever decadent Tiramisu for desert *yum* only I broke tradition by making that and kinda wish I hadn't, but picked it up again by serving leftovers for dinner ..

Solomon and his new Pool Shark

Gypsy (my new doll) meets her cousin Daisy May (in santa hat)

Gypsy was a bit standoffish with all the puppets but warmed up by the end of the day .. I expect they'll be BFF's by tonight!

Thermomix recipe of the day was the Parmesan Grissini I found at Ricks Blog


They were a hit, and obviously you don't need a THX to make them ..

ps: I've just worked out how to change the date stamp on my posts so everything previous has been marked a day behind, but it's right now .. I'm slowly working this blogging thing out, bare with me ..

5 comments:

  1. I love to see your pics and hear what your up to. I adore the dolls. Did you make them or order them somewhere? Your garlic stix look like they are so tasty. Very nice.
    Can you tell me what summer solstice is. I actually googled pagen, because I had no idea and I guess I still dont. LOL The info I found was very confusing. Anyway, I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with working out the date stamp etc - I think that blogger is sometimes designed to make life even more difficult. Good work with the grissini - they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dolls! I have posted a link to your blog at my new blog....do you mind that? :)

    BTW - strawberry daiquiris sound delish....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind at all Tanya, I'm actually trying to decide how I want to do my own links .. Thinking maybe a tag cloud with just a couple of specific topics and listing things in one or two posts for easy reference - especially recipes etc ..

    Thanks Thermomixer, I must confess I jumped right in without bothering to read any 'getting started' guides, so for all I know it was explained and I missed it .. Oh and the Grissini is awesome - I think it might even have been you who mentioned it in the forum so cheers for that too!

    I'm glad you asked Billie .. Put simply it's the longest 'day' of the year .. From now on as we move into Autumn and Winter the days will be getting shorter and nights longer .. This is referring to the hours of sunlight of course, so each day from now until mid winter (June 21/22) the sun will rise a little later and set a little earlier .. This also means that while it's Summer Solstice here, the northern hemisphere is celebrating Winter Solstice (shortest day and longest night heading) ..

    The dolls are collectible Living Dead Dolls, only I play with mine daily, make them clothes, and just generally relive my childhood with them, lol .. Also, since my son has high functioning Autism we use soft toys as puppets and it's a great opportunity to teach him better communication in a fun way .. And it's his absolute favourite thing to do, only he won't play by himself, so I have to literally put the timer on and play a set amount of time each day or we have tantrums .. I got Daisy for my birthday last June, and my daughter gave me Gypsy yesterday as a Solstice present :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sol's a lucky guy with that shark!

    ReplyDelete