Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chicken & the Egg

Day two of playing with my new favourite kitchen appliance and I now have a container full of concentrated vegetable stock in the fridge that should last six months, a double batch of rum & raisin ice-cream setting in the freezer, and a nutrient packed meal of steamed chicken, summer vegetables, sesame seeds, cashews, and jasmine rice in my belly!

In all honesty I wasn't in the least bit impressed with the sherry based sauce given in the recipe book (plain soy sauce & lemon juice in future), and next time I'll do the veggies for less time then recommended (they were in for 12min when I think 9-10 would do), but even so everyone ate everything on their plate with gusto ..

For the record I don't raise or butcher my own meat, but we do have free range (constantly have to chase them out of the house!) egg layers:

That's Speckles,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - and this is Swift:

- we have a third but she's camera shy ..

Today was also the last day of school for the little one so we have 6+ weeks of lounging around at home in our pj's all day to look forward too *yay* .. I pulled the kayaks out from under the trampoline and gave them a good wash down in case we get the urge to throw them on the roof racks, and tomorrow I plan to do a tidy up inside the tipi and around the fire-pit as I've got friends coming to stay over new years ..

5 comments:

  1. Seems like "S" names feature in your house ??

    If you can get Chinese rice wine, then possibly try smaller amount of that with some soy and a little lemon juice, maybe small amount of cooking liquid. But it is a lot of sherry for that dish, and a LOT of cornflour. May even need more cooking to get the flour taste cooked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutly LOVE your pics and I am so jealous of your thermomix, I actually googled it last night and I so want one now. Keep blogging, love to hear what your up to. Billie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips Thermomixer, I'm thinking some Oyster Sauce would be a nice addition too ..

    I love taking pics and having them to look back on so I'm thrilled to know others are enjoying them as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, definitely include oyster sauce - that stuff goes in just about everything savoury that I cook! Love your hens :)

    ReplyDelete