Thursday, December 17, 2009

Homemade v's Store Bought

In case no-one got the connection of why I showed photo's of our pet chooks yesterday, it was because of the ice-cream I mentioned making .. You see I've never made ice-cream from scratch before and wanted to try using the Thermomix to make some as it's the simplest way of making a custard base you could imagine, heating and stirring unattended while you go about your day ..

So there's a Basic Vanilla recipe in the book it came with (which I read online was 'too sweet') so making a few adjustments and tweaks here and there I went about creating my own Rum & Raisin version .. My reasoning with the flavour was that I always choose this when I get a scooped cone (a twice a year occurrence) as R&R is only available commercially in New Zealand, or at least I've never seen tubs/punnets of it being sold anywhere ..

Ingredients: 500g Cream, 500g Milk, 4 Egg Yolks, 150g Sugar, 1.5tspn Vanilla Paste (made with whole beans/seeds), 2tspn Rum Essence, Pinch of Salt, and 200g Raisins

* Put everything but the raisins into the Thermomix and cook for 5min at 80°c on speed 4
* Pour into (preferably chilled) stainless steel bowl, mix in raisins, and put in freezer until semi frozen
* Once set scoop chunks back into the Thermomix and churn for 20sec on speed 9, then for 10sec on speed 4
* Return to freezer until firm enough to scoop ..

I love how you can see the specks of Vanilla throughout, and only wish I'd had some real Rum to try instead of the essence ..

The Verdict: Perfecto - I'll never buy ice-cream again!

Other Daily News: I'm still sick with a (6wk) lung infection and now everyone is making hay so my allergies have been stirred up too .. I shouldn't complain as I'm heaps better but my energy is still very low and I'm getting frustrated at having to pace out everything I do garden wise .. I water all the pots in the courtyard and then I'm exhausted, sneezing, coughing etc .. I really hope I can shake this off before New Years ..

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your lung infection - hope it's not something from the chooks- do you have pigeons?

    Back to more fun things - with the icecream - it may pay to leave the fruit out until it is partly frozen. Then blitz the mix as you did, and for larger chunks of fruit add the raisins and mix in with REVERSE and say speed 4 or 5.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No nothing to do with animals, just good ol fashioned pneumonia ..

    Actually I love the way the ice-cream turned out so think I'll stick with what I did, but cheers for sharing all these tips with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make homemade icecream in my icecream machine, which basically does what your thermomixer does as well as the freezer. The blending part I do by hand though. Hope your health improves quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ice cream looks absolutley divine! Rum raisin is Hubby's all time favorite flavor. We have to go to the local ice cream shop to get it. We can't find it in stores!

    Can you make peanut butter with Stella????

    Sorry you're still not feeling well. Pneumonia is just no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe we found rum raisin once, but it was nothing like the stuff from the ice cream shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. re: Can you make peanut butter with Stella????
    Sure can!

    It's odd that they don't sell in in supermarkets don't you think? I'm sure it would be popular ..

    ReplyDelete